Parent Corner: Supporting Your Young Writer
Family Activity: A Trio of Tales
Noticing the interesting things that happen in our lives is a skill, and one that requires practice. That’s why, at Society of Young Inklings, we talk about visiting our mental Attic to practice the art of collecting story material from our lives. If we’re in the practice of collecting story ideas everywhere we go, we are well-prepared to write or tell our stories.
- Start with the following: “A time I …”
- Finish the sentence with one of these prompts (or create your own).
- invented something
- felt proud
- saw an animal in the wild
- gave an interesting gift
- challenged myself
- Each player should come up with three examples to fit the prompt.
- Tell your tales out loud. Swap stories back and forth. In this way, the stories will give each player fresh ideas, and also will keep the energy and excitement high.
Tell stories with us.
Subscribe to get updates about events, classes, mentorships, and online offerings from the Society of Young Inklings.